Friday, August 24, 2012

Time For a Gluten Free Visit From Your Grandkids

Gluten Free Information Caregivers Need to Know

 
 
 
 Sending my children away to visit grandma and grandpa can always be bittersweet.  One, I miss them and two, I worry about how they will take responsibility for their Gluten Free diet.  My parents have done a great job learning about Celiac Disease and cross-contamination.  While they have had experience feeding the children for the past 6 years, I always give a little reminder about cross-contamination. I also talk to my girls before their visit about taking responsibility for their eating. I told them it is OK to tell someone you cannot have something and it is OK to tell someone they handled your food wrongly. The girls know how they feel after they have had even the most trace amount of gluten (for them it is the size of a bread crumb).
 
To help family and caregivers understand, I print out documents, have a letter prepared that once again talks about Celiac, Gluten Free, how the kids respond, as well as what Cross-contamination is.  Also,  when new people are taking care of the girls, I host a short training session to demonstrate what I mean by potential cross-contaminates.
 
While I always send food and snacks along on any visit, with knowledge of  what it means to eat Gluten Free, our family and friends have gone out of their way to buy grocery items for the girls. My recommendation is, keep it fresh: meats, vegetables, and fruits.
I am very grateful to all of my family who has taken the time to learn about my daughters' Celiac to help them live a fuller life..... One where they can go visit Grandma and Grandpa......


 

Stay tuned.....Coming soon.....

My Gluten Free Me has a web app and app (under construction) to help you manage you and your family's allergies or Gluten Free Living.  With this innovative product, you will  have the ability to share grocery lists to make visiting others much easier.


Letter templates available at:   http://gum.co/NVLW

Including several versions of a letter to family members and caregivers.

No comments:

Post a Comment